RE: [IP] Monetary support

> Excuse me, but I think you're missing the point. People who donate money
> like to know that their money is being used wisely. For some, this is an
> absolute requirement.

All you have to do is ask :-)

Insulin Pumpers is a business like any other and has bills to pay for
all the usual things.  Over 40 people help make it work (coordinating
them alone is no small task) and it takes more than a full time effort
to make it happen. My work day starts at 8:00 each morning and I go
home at 7:00,  Monday thru Saturday. Sunday I spend at home doing this
and that. The bare bones budget for the operation is ~ $105,000 US per
year of which last year we managed to raise ~$52,000. To make up the
difference, I forgoe my a portion of my salary. The board of directors
many year ago authorized a salary for me of ~$49,000 per year. I have
done this for quite a few years and prior to that I accepted nothing.
To live, my wife and I have borrowed against our home instead.

Insulin-Pumpers is in an office complex that has about a dozen other
charities (the rent is low). We are the smallest and least well
funded of any of them. Most have million dollar budgets good sized
paid staff and extensive programs -- things you can only do with
adequate resources. From outside, what Insulin Pumpers does may seem
easy to deliver, but I assure you it is not. It is only through the
dedication of our many volunteers, the support of the membership and
industry that we survive at all. We rely on our pledge drives for
~$2,000 per month of revenue. The balance must come from other fund
raising activities. The pump and drug companies provide a fair amount
as do occassional contributions from firms doing market research
(they typically give around $1,000) when they do a survey. Bear in
mind that Insulin Pumpers does not charge for anything. We provide
the same service to all companies and individuals without regard to
their donor status because our objective is to reach the largest
possible audience with an unbiased message about pump technology and
diabetes management. I wish fund raising were easier because, quite
frankly, I really dislike doing it.

See:
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/faq/office.html

for a view of Insulin Pumpers offices and data center

The income statement from our most recent fiscal year closing is
below:

Insulin Pumpers
Income Statement
For the Twelve Months Ending June 30, 2004

Donations       52740
Other Income    579

Total Revenues  53319

Expenses 2003/2004
Fund Raising    1125
Salaries Expense        26000
Payroll Tax Expense     2580
Employee Medical        8161
Insurance       7575
Rent    8100
Internet Services       2490
Office Expense  714
Travel/Conventions
Printing
Postage 846
Utilities       835

Total Expenses  58427

Net Income      (5108)

Proposed 2004/5
Fund Raising    2000
Salaries Expense        49900   approved by BOD 1999, never paid
Payroll Tax Expense     4000            est
Employee Medical        12242           50% increase this year already
Insurance       8000
Rent    8100
Internet Services       2880
Office Expense  2000
Travel/Conventions      12000   do not now attend unless local meetings
Printing        2500
Postage 2000
Utilities       1000

Total Expenses  106622