Re: [IP] Hypoglycemic unawareness!

In a message dated 12/20/04 1:27:23 AM, email @ redacted writes:

> Michelle,
>
> If you find trouble finding a doc who knows what he or she is doing, you
> might
> consider driving a bit further for care, and coming down to Virginia Mason
> clinic here in Seattle.  The docs here DO understand what they're doing.
> I've
> never had any quibbles about how many strips I need, nor any trouble
getting
> approved for a pump, or the like.   Good people, living in the present, not
> in
> some of the archaic notions of diabetic care that should have been left
> behind
> long ago...  The Benaroya research institute here at Virginia Mason is on
> the
> forefront of diabetes research, and the docs are well up on current
> practices,
> including intensive therapies.   James Benson is the doctor I see,  and
> highly
> respect, but so far as I've seen, the whole department is top notch too.
>
> HTH.
>
> Peter Rowe
> Seattle

Hi Peter,

Actually I said that my current docs do prescribe 300 strips per month, as
both my primary in Sequim and my endo in Port Angeles.  It was many of my
previous docs that would not, and if they did, my insurance limited me to 120
strips
anyway and the rest were cash out of pocket.   My endo is also Dr. Benson.
He comes to the Virginia Mason clinic twice a month in Port Angeles.   My docs
aren't my pump or pump supplies stumbimg block, Medicare is.   I am off my
pump for 6 months, so hopefully we can work something through the system
and/or
hopefully my husband's insurance through Costco will begin in the meantime.

~ Michelle ~
Sequim, WA