Re: [IP] Follow up to a question I asked

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 10:58:10 EST, you wrote:

>>If my bg is 400-600, I  manually inject insulin into the muscle.  My doctor
 >>warned me against this, but it has worked well for me. My bg is down in 1-2
>>hours.   Otherwise, it will take many hours to come down to normal.  I'm not
 >> sure why the dr. does not want a patient to do this, but it might be because
of
>>the  possibility of going low if they take too much insulin.  I wouldn't
 >> suggest it for someone new to diabetes, but for some of you who have had d
for
 >> many years, this is very effective. I have only used this method a few
times.
>> ellen

I do this as well, but with reservations.  Once insulin is in the bloodstream,
it gets metabolized fairly quickly,  and past a certain blood level of insulin,
 the blood sugar can only be lowered at a certain maximum rate. So if you inject
too much into a muscle, where it may be absorbed quite quickly,  you may end up
not getting the full effect of the full dose, since some of the insulin may be
excess to just how fast your body can actually use it to lower blood sugar.
What I generally do when I'm in this situation, which thankfully doesn't happen
so often any more since going on a pump, is to split the dose.  Half goes into
my upper arm, where the skin is thin enough it's likely either into the biceps
 muscle itself, or between the muscle and the fatty layer. it takes effect quite
 quickly. The other half is a more normal sub Q injection, or normal pump bolus.
 I find that this way, I get a the same quick onset and reduction of blood
sugar,
but the effect is more consist ant.  Speeding up a correction like this is the
main reason I still sometimes use a syringe other than when a set may have gone
bad or something.  One other note is that if you're doing an intramusclular
injection, you may find that the good old standard regular insulin is just as
fast, or almost as fast, as humalog.  The absorption of insulin from muscle
tissue seems much less affected by insulin molecules clumping, which is what
humalog or Novolog change.

HTH

Peter