Re: [IP] I got off of my insulin pump.

In a message dated 12/17/04 1:44:20 PM, email @ redacted writes:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I know I sound crazy, but I just got off of my Insulin Pump. It was too hard
> for me to deal with. It made me self-conscious, I hated being connected to a
> box,
> and my canula's ALWAYS kinked. I also didn't like the white dots I was
> getting
> that became scars. I was on my pump over 1 year. I wanted your feedback. I'm
> going to try shots again w/novalog and lantus and see how this works. It was
> amazing to see syringes again today. I was ecstatic-- I don't know why...Has
> anybody else in here switched back to shots from the pump?
>
> Take care,
>
> Christina

Hi Christina,

I was taken off my pump Thursday - temporarily.   It was not a voluntary
thing, but rather a last ditch effort.   After 10 1/2 years of pumping into my
abdomen, my sites aren't lasting more than a day, and with no insurance and
 Medicare still refusing to pay for my pump supplies and insulin because they
didn't
pay for my pump, I am going through supplies too quickly.   I tried my legs,
rear-end and lower rib cage area, but none of those areas worked for me, maybe
because I can only use a bent needle infusion set.   Both Novolog and Humalog
are causing swelling and irritation when infused, but not when injected.

I started on Lantus yesterday, which is totally new to me.   It wasn't around
in 1994 when I started pumping.   Since my "bedtime" falls at various hours,
I decided to make my "Lantus time" 11:00PM, so when the news starts, I know
 it's time. Of course tonight since my husband was watching a movie instead of
the news, I missed my time marker and all of a sudden, it was midnight.   I
can tell what I will miss most from the years of pumping is that it freed me
 from having to remember things like that. The other convenience I will miss is
being able to stretch out my meal boluses to accommodate my gastroparesis.
The only way to do this on injections is to manually space them out over a
certain amount of time and I don't have time to keep track of that!

I plan to give my abdomen 6 months to heal and I will hopefully return to
pumping.   While it is kind of refreshing to not have my pump hanging on my
 waistband, it is also a little scary. A part of me is missing! This morning
 when I took my daughter to school, I was in a panic when it wasn't there
because
I thought for a moment that I had forgotten to reattach after my shower.   She
reminded me only as a preteen can... "Moooooom.   You aren't pumping now,
 you're taking shots. Duuuh!" Of course, accompanied by eyes rolling back and
followed by laughter - with me not at me.

I, myself, will miss the convenience (to me) of pumping.   I figure I will
 just jump each inconvenience of injections with the reminder to myself that
it's
only temporary.   If insulin reactions increase though, I'll also have to
 remind my family that it is only temporary. Since my convenience doesn't affect
them, me being back on injections only worries them that I will increase
hypoglycemic "events."   Only time will tell.

I have met others that didn't feel pumping was for them, even after they
tried it for about the same amount of time you did.   For some, going back to
 injections turned out to be temporary when they realized how much they had
grown
 dependent on their pump. For a couple others, they remain on MDI. Keep your
pump around just in case you fall into that first category and decide you
want to be "reunited" with your pump.

Good luck!

~ Michelle ~
Sequim, WA