Re: [IP] Monetary support

Actually, yes, it did.  I ran a list and web site support for K9
police officers and we had members all over the world.  We easily
topped the IP list bandwidth, at one point for several years every K9
police officer in the world was a member of our list.  Okay, maybe we
missed a few, but it wasn't many.

Here's what I found ...

By renting a server, I didn't have to maintain the hardware.  Right
now, we're without our main server right?   If you rent from one of
the server farms, THEY swap the data over to a different computer and
you aren't bothered by the hardware issues.  You also aren't bothered
by power issues and other issues related to the maintenance of the
server.

Moving to a server farm took a huge load of worries off of me, in
addition to saving money.

I will grant you that running a mailing list the size of this one
generates a huge amount of bandwidth.  And that it is difficult for
the server farm to tell the difference from the IP list from your
ordinary spammer.  That's one reason I know longer maintain mailling
lists -- and I've been out of the K9 police list business for a few
years.

However, if you are upfront with the person you are leasing from and
you know what kind of load you are running, you can find something
that will work out.

--
Kathleen Weaver