[IP] RE: advice for a 10 yr old t1

Julie,

There are boatloads of books for kids diagnosed with diabetes today
(unlike when I was diagnosed in 1976 at age 7), I believe the Rufus
series might be most appropriate for a 10 year old.  Above all, I would
suggest being honest with the child.  Do NOT tell her that a cure may be
available by the time she is older or about how much progress has been
made in treatment ... that was the same line that was fed to so many of
us, and as much as we may want to believe it, my personal feeling is that
it is really unfair to build a child's expectations without any clinical
evidence to support it.  Instead, I would suggest telling the child that
the tools for managing the condition are better than they were years ago,
but they still far from perfect, so try not to beat themselves up when
blood glucose levels do something they aren't supposed to, or they do not
respond as predicted with to insulin therapy.  They are only tools, but
there is much art as there is science to using insulin, and the body does
not always respond as predicted.  (In all honesty, the parents probably
need to understand that more than the kid.)  The Children with Diabetes
website (http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.co m) is a good site, and I
believe there are chat rooms for kids to interact with other kids like
themselves available on the site.  The biggest lesson I would convey is
that treatment is not a cure, and that she should do the best she can,
but she should not feel guilty if things don't respond perfectly.  Also,
she should be very vocal if she does not like the doctor who is treating
her;  just because the parents believe they have found "the best" for
their daughter based on countless recommendations from others, if the
child does not like the endo, her treatment is going to be compromised.
She should be very specific with her parents if she does not like
someone; tell them why ... does the doctor make her feel uncomfortable,
stupid, like she is doing something wrong all the time?  She is the one
who will be most affected by the doctor chosen, and the child needs to
like the person and feel comfortable enough to tell them about things
that could impact her health.