Re: [IP] What is Insulin Pumpers?

At 05:13 PM 12/15/2004, you wrote:
 >In a message dated 12/15/2004 4:51:54 PM Central Standard Time,
 >email @ redacted writes:
 >
 >> What is Insulin Pumpers? hmmm... the stock answer is from the site
 >
 >Rodney, it would help all of us newbies I am sure to know a little about
what
 >is entailed in maintaining this website.  Are there any paid employees?  How
 >many volunteers?  Where does our donation go?  How much time and training
does
 >it take to become a volunteer?  What we can do as members other than the
 > obvious - give money - do to help this great resource that ya'll make
 >available
 >us?  Thanks Debbie

Insulin Pumpers has been around since sometime in 1997. When I joined in
April 1998 we had less than 250 members!! We've obviously grown
exponentially since then. We have no regular paid staff... although Michael
(the person who runs this list) does receive a small amount to compensate
him for all of his time, but I'd wager he works for less than minimum wage.
All the rest of us are volunteers. Insulin Pumpers is a registered
non-profit organization. Virtually all the donations we receive go directly
into operating expenses, such as computers, servers, Internet access,
maintaining a small office and keeping the electricity and phones working.

Two of the primary groups of members who volunteer are the Chat Hosts and
Admins. I'll let Rodney talk about the duties of the Chat Hosts, but I can
speak about what the Admins do.

Right now we have 13 volunteer admins on our list. We have two primary duty
posts... working on the HELP "desk" and helping new members subscribe. The
Help admin answers questions (like why can't I log into Chat), unsubscribes
members and changes subscriptions as requested. The Subscription Admin
looks at all the new profiles, formats them properly and adds them to the
list. We have other jobs for the more experienced admins, such as analyzing
bounced mail and making changes, behind the scenes, in the database. All of
us are are collectively also responsible for dealing with problems and
handling sometimes difficult situations. However, the admins do discuss
problems among themselves to come to a consensus before acting.

All of the admins give up their own time, between work, family and life in
general, to help out. Each duty is for a week at a time and can sometimes
take an hour or two (or more) each day during that time. The duties rotate
and most admins can count on duty time about every 6-7 weeks. No advanced
computer expertise is required beyond knowing your email program very well,
being willing to follow instructions, a fair amount of tactfulness, and
having a lot of common sense.

If you'd like to volunteer your time, please write to the HELP address
below. We'll get back to you, as openings come up.

Sam Skopp
A Senior Volunteer Insulin Pumpers administrator