RE: [IP] advice for a 10 yr old t1

I have 9.5 year old twin daughters. One has had Diabetes since she was 5
years old.  The best web sites for the parents are as follows:

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com

http://www.jdrf.org

These web sites have age appropriate books to help.  I can give some
personal favorites, but they also can look at Amazon.com and look for
subject for type 1 diabetes for kids.

Also, I'm sure there is a JDRF chapter in their area with lists of diabetes
camps.  If not, tell them to do a quick search for diabetes camps and they
will pull up options for their daughter.

The advice that I wish to the heavens someone had told me was that this
disease is consistently inconsistent.  That they are not doing anything
wrong and not to beat themselves up over "bad" numbers.  The numbers are
just numbers, that is all.  Just take one day at a time. You are in for a
long ride.  Also, don't tell their daughter to "test".  Tell her to "check"
her numbers.

Also, it's okay to have "bad" diabetes days. They will happen.

With warmest thoughts,

Denise Owens
Single parent to twins Haley & Savannah