[IP] advice for a 10 yr old t1

A friend of my husband just found out her 10 year old daughter has type 1
dm.  He asked me to call her this weekend and speak to her, give some
advice, answer questions, and maybe talk to her daughter.  Any good books on
a 10 year old level that you could suggest?  What about website/email
support groups?  She is not on a pump yet, obviously...is it too early to
suggest one?  Do you know of a summer camp in the Western NC area for
diabetic kids?  Also, for the parents out there... what advice do you wish
someone would have told you in the beginning?  Thanks
Julie