Re: [IP] Exercise habit

RB> How do people like me that don't LIKE to exercise get into the
RB> habit of exercising?

I'm not Dr. Corcoran, but here are my 2 cents:

#1 tip: Find sports or activities you enjoy doing.

Are you competitive? If yes, then think about sports that allow you
the chance to compete. E.g. many running stores have programs to help
new runners get in shape and prepare for a race like a 5k. These
usually involved group runs with people who are at the same stage as
you.

Do you like the outdoors? Get into hiking, canoeing, kayaking or rock
climbing.

Are you interested in helping others? If yes, you could sign up for a
walk-a-thon or marathon and raise money for a good cause. ADA runs
several programs, notably Team Diabetes, where you get training
support as you prepare to run or walk a marathon. The fundraising
aspect of it is a very effective motivator for a lot of people.

http://www.diabetes.org/communityprograms-and-localevents/otherfundraising.jsp

#2 tip: Find something that is easy to incorporate into your life.

One idea is to incorporate exercise into your life as transportation.
Can you walk or bike to work, or even part of the way? I bike to and
from school (about 25 minutes each way) until the roads get icy. When
the roads are too icy for me to feel safe sharing the road with cars,
I walk to school in the mornings (about an hour and a quarter) and
take the streetcar home most days. I really treasure that time because
I can listen to music and/or think about things. I get a lot of
research done on my way to school. :) IMHO, this is the easiest way to
get into the habit of exercising, because it's so easy to keep it up
and it doesn't require any major lifestyle changes. You're doing what
you would normally do, just changing the way you get there.

If you are at home during the day, is there a good coffeeshop anywhere
about 2 miles away from you? If yes, make a habit of walking there
every day to get a coffee and a newspaper. Walk most of your errands
when geography allows.

Do you have a dog? Would you think about getting a dog? If so, you
have an automatic reminder to go for a walk or two every day, not to
mention a slobbering beast to love you unconditionally. :)

Do you like television or movies? Get an exercise bike or treadmill,
put it in front of your TV and make a rule that you will only watch TV
while pedaling/walking. (I have heard of people who turn a stationary
bike into a power source for a 12 volt television. They can literally
only watch TV when someone is pedaling!)

What about exercise videos? They're so easy to do. No need to leave
you house, all you need to do is throw on a pair of shorts and clear
an area in front of your television. You can rent some from your local
video store and try them out. There are videos that will give you a
great workout and may also provide some good eye candy while you're at
it. :)

#3 tip: Make it part of your social calendar.

Join a hiking club, a Master's swim team, a runner's group or a city
cycling group. Lots of these groups have beginner's programs that will
help you get in shape and make some great new friends. Often they have
social activities after hikes/swims/runs/bike rides.

If you are a team player, find a team sport that you enjoy. I play a
team sport that involves traveling to tournaments most weekends
throughout the summer and fall. Like most sports that involve
tournaments or weekend races, it's a very social sport. Part of what
keeps me so committed is that I love my team members and I love seeing
all the people I know on other teams. If I didn't go to these
tournaments, I would miss out on a huge part of my social circle. And
if I didn't play, I would never have met my husband!

#4 tip: Give yourself some time to get used to new habits and have
realistic expectations.

The biggest thing to remember is that everyone starts somewhere. You
won't start to reap the benefits of exercise right away, so allow
yourself to try something new for a solid month before deciding
whether or not you it's working for you. It can take up to a year to
really get into the swing of things, but if you have patience, don't
get frustrated with yourself for not being perfect right off the bat,
and stick with it, you can reap huge rewards to your health and your
quality of life.

SAB> Any suggestions [re: low BGs after exercise]?

Have you tried a post-workout snack in addition to your pre-workout
snack? I find a banana is often just what I need. (And it replenishes
potassium stores as well.)

I play competitive ultimate frisbee and do other sports like
triathlons, rock climbing, cross-country skiing, cycling and hiking at
much less competitive levels. For most of the year, I train for
ultimate 5-6 days a week. I find I need to bolus quite a bit more than
usual on ultimate tournament days because of all the sprinting and
intensity (lots of adrenaline) but afterwards, my insulin requirements
go down for quite a while. During training and for the activities I do
less competitively, my insulin needs go down during as well as after
the activity. I disconnect during ultimate games and reconnect every
hour or so. For other activities, I leave the pump on with reduced
basal. I always try to have a small snack before an activity and only
bolus for about half of it.

Holly
admitted sports junkie
T1 22 years
pumping 6 months
**My A1c is down from 8.5 to 7.1, despite a very stressful time that
made my BGs go crazy for two weeks just before the test. I am well on
my way to my goal A1c of 6.0. I love my pump!