Re: [IP] Any Link between Cholesterol and Birth Control Pills?

>Does anyone know if there have been studies done on the protective
>nature of HDL cholesterol and what the results of the studies were?
>I recently read that the ratio between LDL and HDL is more important
>than the individual numbers, in which case I don't feel it's
>necessary to take a statin (especially

I've wondered this too, as I am above the new ADA guidelines for
total cholesterol but good (low) on LDL and fairly high on HDL.  My
doctor says she wishes all her patients had results like mine, and
I'm not on statins.  My latest lab results included a little table,
as follows:
Cholesterol/HDL ratio and cardiac risk:
risk	males	females
lowest	<3.8	>2.9
low	3.9-4.7	3.0-3.6
moderate	4.8-5.9	3.7-4.6
high	6.0-6.9	4.7-5.6
highest	>7	>5.7
I would presume this is based on some study, but of course the lab
sheet does not give a reference.
--
Sue Ann Bowling, North Pole, Alaska