Re: [IP] Re: more endo horror stories

I have had 3 endos in the less than 3 years that I have been diabetic. Not
one has ever told me not to make changes on my own.

How do the endos know how much to start you out with? The day/evening I was
dx I was just given the equipment and a chart showing how much Novolog to
take at each meal depending upon what my bs reading was at that time. It was
based upon 60 g of carbs for breakfast and lunch and 75 for dinner. I was
also told to take 10 units of lantus before bed. I did not get home from the
doctors until 8 pm. I had a late dinner with my estimated 75 g of carbs. At
that time, my bs was over 350 - they had not given me any insulin at the
doctors office. I took 9 units of novolog as indicated on the chart. About
1/2 hour later I took the shot of 10 units of lantus and went to bed. I woke
up sometime later in a total sweat and just knowing if I wanted to survive I
had to eat. 2 pbj's and half hour later I checked my bs and I was at 52. I
called the next day and they just said to cut everything in half. So was the
original number just a shot in the dark. They did not do any glucose
tolerance testing or give me any insulin to see what it would do.

The next endo office I went to I never saw a full fledge doctor in my 3 or 4
visits. I spent more time demonstrating  my pump and freestyle tracker than
discussing my treatment. And that has been pretty much the case with my
current endo. My original pump settings I figured out after reading and
following the instructions in Pumping Insulin. That book and this group have
been my medical support and fortunately that has been all I have needed. I
really doubt than any of the doctors or nurses or CDEs can be as intuned
with the way this disease effects us as we are. We are the ones that live it
each day.

email @ redacted
dx Type 1 1/2002
Cozmo pumping since 1/2003
CoZmore pumping & testing since 09/02/04