Re: [IP] Chicken-pox

I came into this discussion late, so my apologies if I
am repeating someone else's information.

The Herpes Zoster virus causes chicken pox AND
shingles.  Chicken pox in adults who have never had it
previously is still called Chicken Pox.

Those of us who have had shingles know that it affects
only one side of the body.  As someone else shared, it
lies dormant somewhere in the spinal nerves, and for
whatever reason (unknown - it is NOT related to
exposure - theories are it is stress related or immune
system related with some type of trigger) um, and for
whatever reason it "reinfects" along certain nerves,
typically isolated to one side of the body.

When I was a baby I had the chicken box.  Had all of
three (3) pox sores.

When I was 38 I came down with Shingles.  I thought I
had an outbreak of acne along one shoulder blade.  I
had maybe 5 spots this time.  When I went to my
physician to get some Retin-A to make the 'acne' go
away - he said "you have shingles."  I had no other
symptoms other than a few sores.  No fever.  No
nausea.  Nothing to indicate I was "ill".

Just like the chicken pox, every person is affected to
a different degree.  Folks over 50 tend to get it more
often.  Except in my family, my YOUNGER sister has had
it also, not just me (and I'm NOWHERE NEAR 50 & NEVER
WILL BE).

Herpes Zoster is related to the other (gasp) kind of
herpes in that it is viral and causes sores.  Another
similarity is the fact that after laying dormant for
some indefinite period of time, some people come down
with it again.  (Shingles is derived from a latin word
meaning "girdle" - describing the outbreaks on the
trunk of the body).

Okay, lecture over.

PS - THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO DONATED TO MATCH MY
CHALLENGE.  WOO HOO - WE WENT OVER!!!!!  THANK YOU
EVER SO MUCH!!!!!!!

-gail

=====
-gail in denver