[IP] diabetic full of new hope

The Calgary Sun: Diabetic full of new hope

Saturday, December 6, 2003
Diabetic full of new hope

 David Ladner is only 16 years old -- but already has had to endure almost
12,000 needles.

But living with juvenile diabetes is now easier for Ladner -- not be-cause
there's a cure, but be-cause of donations to the Diabetes Clinic at Alberta
Children's Hospital.

One such donation came yesterday -- in the form of a $26,633 cheque from
Canada Safeway's Northgate location.

And without the generosity of Calgarians, Ladner said he would still be using
needles to regulate his blood sugar -- but now he uses an insulin pump that
attaches to his body and supplies a steady stream of insulin without the

"I can eat what I want, I feel healthier and there's more flexibility," said
the Grade 11 student, who loves soccer and skateboarding.

It's kids like Ladner that prompted the donation, said Gloria Marks, a
Safeway employee who spearheaded their fundraising campaign.

"This has a personal meaning to us because our store manager's daughter has
 diabetes and for the past 11 years, she's been coming to the Diabetes Clinic at
Alberta Children's Hospital -- so we wanted to raise the money to help," she

Diabetes among young people is reaching epidemic proportions in Canada, says
Dr. David Stephure, Chief of Division of Pediatric Endocrinology at the ACH.

"There isn't one clear reason why -- in Calgary, one reason for the increase
could be because our city is growing," he said, adding many new cases of
juvenile diabetes aren't based on genetics.

"This donation will assist with treatment, public education and clinical
 research, so that we may continue to provide leading-edge care for children
diabetes," Stephure said.

That's good news to Ladner, who offered this advice to kids who've been
recently diagnosed.

"Don't let diabetes control you -- it's an obstacle, but don't let it rule
your life," he said.