Re: [IP] saline solution?

On 4 Dec 2003 at 18:25, email @ redacted <email @ redacted> wrote:

>  Does everyone have to begin pumping with the trial saline solution? I
>  got the
> pump, had trouble getting a minimed nurse to "train" me. Now she says
> I need to do the saline first (even thought my doctor says I can just
> start.) I have had the pump a month now and I am ready to go. I read
> all the instructions and have been type 1 for 25 years. I feel I can
> just plug the thing in. I was worried about insurance if there turns
> out to be a problem with the minimed 712 and they will say I didn't
> use it correctly. Maureen email @ redacted

 AFAIC, there are only two reasons to do saline. One if the Doc/CDE believes you
 deal with a pump, then you can show him/her. The other, you want to find out
how a pump
 operates (only the physical operation, not the thearapeutic operation). Those
two are the
 only instances that I can imagine being necessary to do saline. And actually,
in the latter
 example, I have taken to using plain water and just dripping that out to the

(who had a hard time waiting 48 hrs to start pumping)     ;>)