Shelley

From: "Hal and/or Jo" <email @ redacted>
Date:  Wed, 3 Dec 2003 22:29:14 -0800

>>>  My son has sadly grown up enough to recognize that he has diabetes.
>
>Kids are really perceptive, aren't they?
>
 >>> We were going to meet Deb & Mary Beth's kids to visit with Congressman
Neal.

 >Congratulations on taking a proactive stance. Last week I went to the offices
of both our Senators to discuss their stand on health issues.

 >>> I said"remember Anthony & Siobhan who have a pump just like yours?" He said
"I have a
>>>  pump because I'm a diabetic".
>
>He understands and has a grasp of the obvious.
>
 >>> Mind you we don't call him a "diabetic", my daughter would have a
hemorrhage - she hates the term.

 >What do you call him..."a person with diabetes?" Does your daughter have a
better term for his condition, if so, what is it?

 >>> I almost cried. It's the first time that he's acknowledged that. So sad for
our kids.

 >Why is it sad for our kids, or any of us diabetics, woops "persons with a
metabolic problem" to acknowledge it? It sounds like Joshua is an exceptionally
smart boy and will do well in life as well as manage his medical condition.

--
western Massachusetts