wearing a pump, etc. Joshua had no choice in MY decision to make him pump.

From: "Hal and/or Jo" <email @ redacted>
Date:  Wed, 3 Dec 2003 22:29:14 -0800

>>>  My son has sadly grown up enough to recognize that he has diabetes.
>Kids are really perceptive, aren't they?
 >>> We were going to meet Deb & Mary Beth's kids to visit with Congressman
 >Congratulations on taking a proactive stance. Last week I went to the offices
of both our Senators to discuss their stand on health issues.
 >>> I said"remember Anthony & Siobhan who have a pump just like yours?" He said
"I have a
>>>  pump because I'm a diabetic".
>He understands and has a grasp of the obvious.
 >>> Mind you we don't call him a "diabetic", my daughter would have a
hemorrhage - she hates the term.
 >What do you call him..."a person with diabetes?" Does your daughter have a
better term for his condition, if so, what is it?
 >>> I almost cried. It's the first time that he's acknowledged that. So sad for
our kids.
 >Why is it sad for our kids, or any of us diabetics, woops "persons with a
metabolic problem" to acknowledge it? It sounds like Joshua is an exceptionally
smart boy and will do well in life as well as manage his medical condition.

western Massachusetts

LifeScan, Inc. http://www.lifescan.com