>From: email @ redacted
>To: email @ redacted
>Subject: [IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V7 #663
>Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 16:27:30 EST

>In a message dated 11/14/2003 5:31:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>email @ redacted writes:
>Subject: Re: [IP]Insulin bad for the body?
>my daughter 3mo.diagnosed starts pumpimg next wednesday. is it true that
>insulin therapy can actually make you gain weight? well if that true, what
>the pump? do you gain weight too?
>You can gain or lose weight, depending on how you choose to use the pump. I
>have lost 30lbs on the pump as I didn't need to eat to cover the shots, but
>you choose to eat a lot and cover your glucose with extra insulin you will
>  gain weight, if you don't exercise it off. The pump is a tool, it is not
>and it is up to us to use the tool how we see fit.
I could see myself gaining weight on the pump.  I like food.

But my husband is the diabetic, not me.  He lost 20 lbs. in the first couple
of months on the pump without effort.  He just didn't eat up to his insulin
all the time or eat another sandwich before he went to sleep so he wouldn't
go low at night.  There have been no hypoglycemic reactions where he was
semi-concious so he didn't have to drink two or three cups of milk a couple
of times a week.  That saved a few calories. He has eliminated his cup of
peanuts or cashews three or four times a week.  That has saved a few
calories I guess.

I hope I haven't posted this response already.