From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of Mark Thomas
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 5:17 AM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: RE: [IP] Re: What a CDE/endo does at the office visit?

You know Laura, I first went to a family practice physician when I was first
diagnosed 15 years ago.  As a matter of fact I can thank him for finding out
that I was diabetic in the first place.  But after awhile, I really felt
that his treatment for me was not very aggressive.  I have had several
doctors over the years to help me with my diabetes.  Probably the best one
was an Endocrinologist (sorry, I hate to abbreviate things) but he went with
an HMO and I lost him.  I am on Blue Cross and I refuse to get treated like
an HMO when I pay the kind of premiums I do for Blue Cross Coverage.

He got tired of this and finally went into practice with four other
Endocrinologists.  I went back to him and he immediately made several major
changes in my diabetes treatment.  I called one day though and his nurse
refused to allow me to see him for anything that was not directly related to
Diabetes.  Wow, what a deal huh.  I now go to a lady doctor, (who in my
opinion are much better doctors regardless of their specialty) and she sees
me for everything.  She does have board certification in internal medicine
and Endocrinology.  But to tell you the truth, she sometimes gets so busy
seeing people for so many different things that I get frustrated.  But just
about the time that I am ready to tell her I am leaving she redeems herself
and I think what a great doctor.

The bottom line is this, do you know what a doctor is?  Give up?  They are
just another person who had a little better grades in school or had parents
that were doctors or to tell you the truth were people that just wanted to
make great money (and they do most of the time).  But they are no different
than if you go to a mechanic, a plumber or a car salesman.  Some are good at
what they do, others suck from the start and the rest are in the process of
professional burnout.  It just depends on what stage in life they are when
you darken their door.

The best advise I would give to anyone is to:

* Educate yourself
* Take the good advice and throw out the bad advice.
* Give the doctors the boot when they fail to perform and make sure that you

Believe me, if the word gets out enough even they will come around or get
out of the practice of medicine all together.

Good Luck and Keep Trying.  Mark