[IP] RE: insulin-pumpers-digest V7 #690

jimb said>>>>>>my first thoughts would be to lose weight. Not a physician,
but I would guess a lot of your problems would diminish or disappear<<<<<<

Jim, you obviously have the best intention at heart, even with the least
knowledge.   I have been overweight all of my life, even at 2 years old.   I
have been on every diet known  to the world, some legal, some
illegal....there is something in me that makes me eat food when I am not
hungry, eat way past the full sensation, don't really have a "stop"
mechanism in my body.   I could go on about this, but won't.  The most
painful times of my life were when family and friends would say.... Isn't it
a shame, she would be so pretty if she would just lose weight"...The
emotional pain and loneliness of being overweight is horrendous.   Most of
us (compulsive overeaters) have great will power in other areas of our life,
but we are addicted to food.   You cannot imagine how your statement would
have hurt me.    Compulsive overeating  is a disease like alcoholism,
cocaine/drug addiction, gambling and other addiction. We know we are
POWERLESS over food.

I know it sounds like a simple thing to a normal person.   It is NOT a
simple thing to a compulsive overeater.  We are not normal and never will
be.   I started going to Overeater's Anonymous meetings at age 61 (last
February). I have  lost 35 pounds, have kept it off a year and a
half.....the first time in my life I have ever been able to do that.   I
recognize that I have a disease, just like diabetes.   Not everyone believes
compulsive behavior is a disease.   Many of us do.    Telling a compulsive
overeater like me to lose weight, is like telling you to stop having

I know your heart is in the right place, but please don't ever ever say that
to anyone again.   Even if you are a physician, you might say, lets get you
some help in getting a little weight off....and give a list of options.   I
do not know the person to whom you were referring, I just freaked out at the
statement....it caused me so much pain and many suicidal thoughts in my life
because I COULD NOT LOSE WEIGHT.   I felt compelled to let you know how I
felt about that statement.

My insulin requirements dropped by 40% when I lost the weight.  Yes, it is
wonderful to wear a size ten jeans....for the first time since I was 10
years old. However, I have to work very hard, go to regular OA meetings,
understand my addiction and basically follow a 12 step program.   It is not
for everyone, only for those who have a desire to stop eating compulsively.

I apologize for jumping on you.  It was just very personal to me.....Thanks
for letting me speak up.