[IP] Pulling a pump?

We have often read where a doctor has pulled a pump from a patient, but I'd
like some feedback on what I witnessed Thursday.

We spent Christmas with a pumper and she has a pump friend. The friend
didn't have enough insulin to bolus for the restaurant meal, so refilled her
reservoir at the table. She took the reservoir out of the MM508, detached
the Luer Lock, put insulin in the reservoir, then reattached the hub and
tubing together, finally placed the res. back into her 508.

Many of you will recall past convos about how the levers HAVE to be seated
against the plunger - too slack and there's no delivery of insulin for a
time; too tight insulin is unintentionally infused. It is extremely
important that this not be done while hooked up!!!

I commented about the above and Friend said, "It'd only be 3-4 units." Now,
a lack of 0.5u is enough to send *me* to over 300 for several hours until
another bolus. 3-4u too much and whoa!!!!

She has a very cavalier attitude about the whole DM thing. Been pumping a
year and a DMer 34 years. Doesn't SWAG the carb thing, but takes an aim and
if it hits, so what. If not, uh-oh.

Two hours after the restaurant episode I asked if she was going to check her
BG. She said since it's been 2 hrs, okay. It was 63. I asked if she'd treat
that. She drank a 10-oz bottle of reg. Sprite and ate fudge.

Does she deserve to continue using her pump? I'm sure she's not the only one
who *uses* this way, but then if *soemthing happens* the pump will be blamed
and there goes a MAUDE report!

Dialyzing since 7/8/02

Ignorance isn't bliss, its deadly - Maureen Finnegan (IPer)