[IP] Post Mortem Options

Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 10:05:01 -0600
From: "Just Me" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] donating body

>Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 07:37:33 -0500
>From: "jhughey" <email @ redacted>
>Subject: Re: [IP] donating body
>Wherever a body ends up, will they know the medical history so discoveries
>can be made? Is there a toe tag that states all the stuff and they can do a
>checkoff for searches, etc? I want them to find out why my back has hurt
>40 years, and how all the meds affected other parts as well as hidden,
>undiagnosed whatevers.

Others may know better, but my impression is that very few cadavers are used
for research, most are used in training medical students.  That your medical
history is of very little interest, except to confirm any observations by
the student.  And those of more of the broad observation of "note how nice
this liver looks compared to that of the alcoholic Brenda is opening up" and
the subtleties of your back are likely to be missed.

The exception would be if your back or the drugs you have used were
suspected as a cause of why you died, in which case your body would not be
donated.  Since it isn't a "gift" it is "evidence".

No bodies are used for research or for comparisons. There are no toe tags in
Pennsylvania, just a steel disk with an embossed number and around the edge
the designation Pennsylvania Anatomical Gifts Act 2003 or whatever year and
no other identifying info. Cadavers are unsuitable for research except for
biomechanics. At the end of each Anatomy lab session, students take all of
the tissue from their cadaver and place it in a receptacle. it is all buried
or cremated together. sometimes, bones are processed for study in osteology.
Nobody compares Brenda's liver to Tom's liver. every body receives
respectful treatment and handling. No joking around is tolerated in anatomy,
If you are interested in research, I suggest allowing an autopsy. In the
Autopsy room there is the saying in Latin of course"Out of death we learn
about life". I learned more medicine there than any other place. The
Hollywood stereotype of anatomy lab is shallow, disrespectful and incorrect.
, spot