[IP] donating body

>Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 07:37:33 -0500
>From: "jhughey" <email @ redacted>
>Subject: Re: [IP] donating body

>Wherever a body ends up, will they know the medical history so discoveries
>can be made? Is there a toe tag that states all the stuff and they can do a
>checkoff for searches, etc? I want them to find out why my back has hurt
>40 years, and how all the meds affected other parts as well as hidden,
>undiagnosed whatevers.

Others may know better, but my impression is that very few cadavers are used
for research, most are used in training medical students.  That your medical
history is of very little interest, except to confirm any observations by
the student.  And those of more of the broad observation of "note how nice
this liver looks compared to that of the alcoholic Brenda is opening up" and
the subtleties of your back are likely to be missed.

The exception would be if your back or the drugs you have used were
suspected as a cause of why you died, in which case your body would not be
donated.  Since it isn't a "gift" it is "evidence".