[IP] Re: flying with pump

>Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 13:40:58 -0700
>From: "Fran Baumgartner" <email @ redacted>
>Subject: Re: [IP] Re: flying with pump

>> I travel most every week and have been searched many times.

>Do you get padded down?  I am really afraid of that for personal reasons
>which I am sure you all can figure out.  I don't do well with people
>touching my body ...

I've found the usual scenario is that the gate detector goes off (or doesn't
most pumps don't have enough metal).  They will then "wand" you.  Using the
black 20" or so handheld metal detector.  At that point you may be "patted".
For me it has always been a same sex person and it is simply the middle of
the back or my calves.  Not the "assume the position" kinda stuff you see on
TV.  Fairly low key and not embarrassing.

Be aware in my experience, the bigger deal you make of it the more likely it
will happen.  If it is the public aspect of the search that bothers you talk
to the people at the check-in counter.  They may be able to privately search
you, but I would expect it to be more thorough that what most people must go