Re: [IP] Medical ID- Kinda long

In a message dated 12/22/2002 12:48:05 -0800 PM Eastern Standard Time, >  Sam

 12/22/2002, 12:38 PM jhughey wrote:
>insulin pump user, and maybe something to the effect of do not remove unless
>directed by physician??? >>>
>I'm sure the engraving can be costly. Isn't saying Diabetic AND insulin
>pumper redundant? (~_^)

>Nope. You can be Diabetic, Type 2 and be non-insulin dependent. That's why
>it's important (in my opinion) to make sure it indicates that you have
>insulin dependent diabetes somewhere on the ID.>>>>

>Fran Baumgartner>
<Not in the Medical Community where they don't know their ... I'll let you
all finish that one.  :-)>

Fran, Sam, and others,

I think what Jan was trying to get across, was that writing "insulin pumper"
is implying that someone is also insulin dependent, at least to some degree,
no matter  Type 1 or Type 2.  I am not sure how it works in different
countries/states, but most EMS personnel around here, responding to a call
for a person down for unknown reasons, will automatically start to treat a
low blood sugar, before they even test the blood sugar, if they test at all.
That is b/c the low can kill you a lot faster than the high...which will have
to be treated for a  period of time to bring it down slowly. They also tend
to give Thiamin and folate IV just in case you are an alcoholic, to prevent
permanent nerve damage. I cannot say that I have ever seen a pump removed,
but they may try to suspend or clamp it if they know what to do...Some
do...some don't. Fortunately, more and more folks are becoming more educated
about the pump, but it is slow go. And yes, there are medical people who do
not know it all...about everything..not just pumps. It depends on exposure,
and many continuing education programs will focus on the most common stuff
seen. Pumps are more visible, but treating pacemakers is a lot more common in
some areas. So please try to avoid lumping all health care personnel into one
big "stupid as rocks" category. Most of us went into this field to try to
help and give back to the world and not to have a nicer car, or whatever.
This is especially true of those just finishing med. school and residency
with well over $100,000 in loans to pay back. If you do the math, the hourly
rate equals about what you can get working 2 jobs at a convenience store. And
the changes in technology is overwhelming at best. So, be angry with some
folks, or situations, but please try to put yourself on the other side too.
Most people  want to help, but need a little more education, which many of
the folks here are wonderful doing. You may also find a way to let all that
anger energy out in a positive fashion by volunteering to give lectures, dem
onstrations (i.e., show and tell) at various organizations, etc. My daughter
has demonstrated her pump, how it works, benefits, etc., to a group of new
second year family medicine residents, for the last two years where I work
and it has made a world of difference in getting these new doctors well  on
the way to consider pumps for our patients. Experts? No. But at least, great
referring physicians!
Having said all that, I have no problems being pissed off at insurance
companies, but that is for another post :)

Sorry this is long but maybe it can be my vent for the month. I hope I didn't
use it up yet!

Joann, Mom to Cara, age 17, Type 1 since 2/13/97, pumping since 3/98.
Also a doctor BTW (me, not Cara! She is more the lawyer type!)