[Previous Months][Date Index][Thread Index][Join - Register][Login]
  [Message Prev][Message Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Re: [IP] A1c's

Hello RoseLea,
I was told at just my last dr. appt. to strive to keep my bg's between
70-90!  To me this felt a little strange.  My numbers have been quite high
lately and I was told not to treat a low bg until it got below 50!  Does
this seem right to anybody or is it just me that thinks that it is to low to
allow myself to drop before treating?
----- Original Message -----
From: "RoseLea" <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 2:59 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] A1c's

> At 02:56 PM 12/18/02, Jan wrote:
> >On the A1c chart I have, a 4% A1c is an average BG of 60.
> >  We are continually
> >cautioned on this list to NOT drive below 100. How is that justified
> >it is an average and sstill maintain an A1c of 4%? An average of 100
> >be about 5.8%. I understand that you do not go over 200. I think that's
> >wonderful and is remarkable as well that you can maintain in the 4's. I
> >still stand by all I have said regarding my original post. The ADA
> >recommends below 6.5% and some DMers will try to get in the 4%'s due to
> >their competitive spirit and feel guilt (or death?) in the unachievable
> >*them*. (~_^)
> I never said I was a 4.0.  I said I was sometimes in the 4's range.
> at the upper 4's, lowest I have ever been is a 4.8.  I disagree that an
> average of 100 would be a 5.8 since, according to my chart a 5.8 is an
> average of 129.  Perhaps we are just splitting hairs here, but my husband
> (non-d) always tests at 96-98 whenever I've checked him.  Now, that would
> be an A1c of 4.8-4.9.  Are you suggesting he should not drive, or that his
> quality of life must be poor?  I think you presume that a person with a
> lower A1c could not possibly consistently check in the 90-100's range,
> MUST go low to average out the highs they definitely must have (which is
> not always the case.)  I agree that some people may find it difficult to
> get to a lower A1c, and I am not promoting that for anyone.  I am just
> stating that just because a person HAS a lower A1c, it doesn't mean they
> are always low, or have a poor quality of life, or are unsafe to
> drive.   As my endo tells me, it all comes down to genes.   And, since we
> are all different, and have different genetic makeups, no one should be
> pushed to have a lower A1c just because it's a "contest" or expected to
> have a higher A1c just because they have diabetes.  I believe the original
> poster just asked if it was possible to have an A1c in the 4's with a
> pump.  Yes, while it is possible, it can be good or bad, depending on the
> person and their genetic makeup.  I almost hate the fact that they have
> this test, since so many perceive it to be a "contest" or a test of how
> "perfect" they are with their diabetes.
> RoseLea
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe, contact:
> HELP@insulin-pumpers.org
for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe, contact: