Re: [IP] Family Support (Was Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V6 #862)

>>>My sister in law refuses to allow the younger neices and nephews to allow me to test and before I was on the pump would not allow them to see me give myself the shots.<<<

This strikes me as so sad.  In my experience, both with shots and on the pump, no one is more fascinated, interested, and willing to learn about diabetes than a child.  To my knowledge, no child has been frightened by what I do to myself, only interested.

My children are now four and eight months.  With both, from the beginning, my diabetes was a fact of my life.  I never hid it.  My son loves to play with my dicarded infusion sets, and if I ever use a syringe, he wants the little "cup" that covers the plunger.

I'd be tempted to do as someone else suggested, and INSIST on checking my blood sugar in front of them.  She is depriving them of nothing more than an educational opportunity.

dxd 1985, pumping since 1990

Meet Singles