[IP] Re: IP] regarding dialysis and diversity

>>>how is it that someone like gina is on
dialysis after only 18 yrs of being a type 1, but then i hear of hundreds
and hundreds of veterans and others whove had diabetes for over 30 yrs with
poor control for most of it, and some of them dont even have background
retinopathy. >>>

I thoroughly believe in *the luck of the gene pool.*  I've had DM-1 52 years
so have lived through the days of NO MDI, no A1c's, No Humalog/Novolog, etc.
We had just one shot a day and pee tests which I didn't do cuz they'd be
orange and I'd be guilty of something. Why try? Once after pumping ( not a
MM pump!!!) lol  and it had battery posts in it that were silver and needed
to be copper coils (or vice versa????) and my A1c (early '80s) was 15.6. Doc
asked if I'd had a problem and I said No - cuz it was prolly something I was
guilty of - no problem. He didn't really keep up with my testing, in fact
told me to not do 4 a day, but skip around and do fewer.

I always cite the identical twins who the one took excellent care of himself
and got all the complications. The other lived freely and didn't have any
complications. You can strive to do your best, however, there are still no
guarantees in life. :-(

Dialyzing since 7/8/02

You can use statistics to prove anything that's remotely true - 63% of
people know that.