[IP] Extra carry on for diabetic supplies?

I was just wondering if it is true that you are allowed an extra carry on bag
if it contains diabetic supplies?  I am flying from Tampa to Milwaukee
(through Memphis) tomorrow and I was just wondering if that is allowed
(before I go assuming and it isn't).  Thanks in advance!
             Diagnosed 8-13-93 (age 11)
             Pumping since 7-18-02 w/ my blue Paradigm "Lancelot"