[IP] Dialysis

At first you are really not given a choice between hemo or peritoneal
dialysis.  Only because they cannot determine when you will have to start on

In order to do peritoneal, you have to have a tenkhoff catheter surgically
implanted in your stomach and it has to heal at least a month before it can
be used.  It can be used sooner, but they usually don't like to use it before
it has had time to heal.  And there is a lot of training that goes along with

I did it for 6 weeks and was in and out of the ER 3x in 1 week due to
throwing up and dehydration.  As soon as they removed the catheter I was
fine.  It wasn't peritonitis, but some other sort of bacteria, not sure how I
got the infection.  It is a very sterile procedure, lots of hand washing and
wiping down things that are used in the procedure.

I personally like hemo better because you put your care in the hands of
others and just sit back and let them worry about it for however many hours
you are there.  And if I want to go away for the weekend, you just pack up
and go and don't have to worry about taking enough supplies and lugging them

3 years hemo
18 years T1