Re: [IP] working out with the pump

I play competitive tennis several times a week.  My
basals are already set to accomodate my active
lifestyle - so I don't typically have to adjust the
rates for a tennis match.  But - you want to start
conservative if you are going to do some temp basals -
better to run a bit high at first than to go low!

I also have been experiencing the adrenaline effect of
high BGs as a result of especially tough matches.  I
can walk onto the court with a BG of 100 & leave with
a BG of 450.  That is something to be aware of that
can happen (you might not experience it, but be aware
that it can happen).  My new MD has advised me to NOT
test my BG after a match for at least an hour.  That
way I don't try to correct too soon & end up with
paramedics in my bedroom at 2:00 a.m. treating me for
a BG of 15.

I use the gel packs for quick energy - Cliff Shots or
Power Bar Gel or GU.  I buy it at REI for less than I
can get it anywhere else (if I buy it in bulk).  I
tend to waste Gator-ade type stuff since I can't drink
an entire bottle - expensive stuff to throw away.

For electrolyte replacement I like the Reebok energy
water instead of Gatorade.  I don't know if it really
works, but I think it does so I drink it.  (I don't
get leg cramps as often when I drink it in addition to
the magnesium & calcium tab supplements every day).

Good luck.

-gail in denver
Dx'd T1 02/14/72 @ age 11, pumping since 1985-ish.

Do you Yahoo!?