Re: [IP] home hba1c test approved by FDA

William Eddie Hollyfield <email @ redacted> wrote:

> If the meter reads +/-20% then if my true H1ac = 7.0 +8.4 - 5.6. The range
is 5.6 to 8.4. On the low side all is better than expected but on the high
side what kind of complations should I expect, I better work very very hard
to get this down but no matter what I do it will not come down.
> I really don't understand how the whole world is using such a large erroe

It probably is not that wide a spread.  The actual requirement is that
results be within 5% of the standard laboratory test 50% of the time.  That
is approximated as +/-20%.  Most of the time the tests will be well within
that range because the manufacturers don't want any chance of their product
being recalled.  OTOH, there is a significant portion of the tests that fall
outside the range, otherwise the advertising would indicate it was more
accurate or precise.

These tests, just like the rapid tests done in the physician's office should
be used either for screening or for indicators.  We all should have at least
one standard lab test a year - both HbA1c and fasting serum glucose.  Those
tests are the gold standard.

Jim Handsfield