Re: [IP] Minimed (from Michael)

Of course it is a big decision and one that can come with a certain amount
of fear.  I don't have diabetes - my son does.  He is 8 years old and has
been pumping for a year, this month.  When we decided to try pump therapy,
he was completely opposed to it.  He didn't like the idea of having the pump
attached to him all the time and he really didn't like the idea of having
the catheter in his body all the time.  I insisted that he make an informed
decision which of course required that he at least give the pump a fair
shot.  He changed his mind before he had been pumping insulin for one full
day.  Now he couldn't imagine life without it.  It so improved his quality
of life that all those worries are completely meaningless now.  Not only
does it allow him to live a more normal life, but it allows him to feel
better.  He didn't even realize how his swinging blood glucose levels
affected the way he felt until he started pumping.  Add to that the reduced
risks of complications and you have, IMO, an unbeatable equation.

Certainly it required a break-in period.  For the first month or so, he had
to play around with it a little to figure out what to do with the pump at
certain times, but now the pump is just like a part of him and it doesn't
get in his way anymore than the nose on his face does.

If the sales reps you feel pressured by are pump wearers themselves, I think
that explains the pressure.  Those who have experienced the benefits of
pumping first hand can find it quite hard not to preach to the rest of the
"insulin challenged" world on the virtues of pumping.  As far as wanting to
commit to the pump 100%, I don't know if that's really the right way to look
at it (although I admire you for placing such importance on commitment).  It
would be a little like deciding to marry someone without ever having spoken
to them.  But I can tell you that the VAST majority of people who try pumps,
never go back to shots.

I'm sure that you can find a way to fit the pump into your life, but there
really is only one way to do that and that is to start pumping.  I hope you
go for it.

Good luck,