[IP] Re: Lantus Humalog pump prep-

Besides the Lantus, you might ask your Doctor about utilizing Humalin R with
the Humalog.  You can mix the two together.  I typically use a mix of 50/50
to 25/75 or 75/25 depending on the meal.  I found that just using the
humalog, I would spike up in blood sugar when eating meats and/or slowing
burning foods.  To compensate, I took a lot of humalog shots.  Mixing the two
insulin's cured the "spike" problems I was having and cut my short acting
insulin injections down from 6-7 a day down to 3-4.  I also found that the
Humalin acted as a boost to the Lantus when I needed a "higher basal rate"
during the night.  Humalin acts for about 6-8 hours in me while the Humalog
seemed to last for 1-2 hours.  Not enough to cover a lot of common foods.
When I take a few hours off from my pump, I just shoot up with about 15 units
of Humalin and I can relax the entire afternoon- Of course dosages vary, this
is just for me-.  Also, when I change pump sites, I typically give myself
about 10 units of humalin to cover the short term giving my new site time to
work.  Being diabetic for 27 years, my NEW PUMP sites need a FEW hours of
soaking in my basal rate before my BSg's become normal.

Bryon  age 39 diagnoised 3/76