RE: [IP] Re: A1c and meters reporting whole blood vs plasma resu lts

Ryan Bruner [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> So, the question becomes, are MOST meters calibrated to plasma
> readings?

That seems to be the trend.  The reason is that glucose tests done by the
lab measure serum (plasma) glucose by virtue of spinning the specimen in a
centrifuge prior to measuring the glucose level.

But let's be careful a little of terminology.  Meters are not calibrated to
plasma because they are reading whole blood.  It's a programming algorithm
that outputs the approximation to serum glucose as opposed to an algorithm
that outputs blood glucose.

Jim Handsfield