Re: [IP] A1c's

At 02:56 PM 12/18/02, Jan wrote:

>On the A1c chart I have, a 4% A1c is an average BG of 60.
>  We are continually
>cautioned on this list to NOT drive below 100. How is that justified since
>it is an average and sstill maintain an A1c of 4%? An average of 100 would
>be about 5.8%. I understand that you do not go over 200. I think that's
>wonderful and is remarkable as well that you can maintain in the 4's. I
>still stand by all I have said regarding my original post. The ADA
>recommends below 6.5% and some DMers will try to get in the 4%'s due to
>their competitive spirit and feel guilt (or death?) in the unachievable for
>*them*. (~_^)

I never said I was a 4.0.  I said I was sometimes in the 4's range.  Always
at the upper 4's, lowest I have ever been is a 4.8.  I disagree that an
average of 100 would be a 5.8 since, according to my chart a 5.8 is an
average of 129.  Perhaps we are just splitting hairs here, but my husband
(non-d) always tests at 96-98 whenever I've checked him.  Now, that would
be an A1c of 4.8-4.9.  Are you suggesting he should not drive, or that his
quality of life must be poor?  I think you presume that a person with a
lower A1c could not possibly consistently check in the 90-100's range, they
MUST go low to average out the highs they definitely must have (which is
not always the case.)  I agree that some people may find it difficult to
get to a lower A1c, and I am not promoting that for anyone.  I am just
stating that just because a person HAS a lower A1c, it doesn't mean they
are always low, or have a poor quality of life, or are unsafe to
drive.   As my endo tells me, it all comes down to genes.   And, since we
are all different, and have different genetic makeups, no one should be
pushed to have a lower A1c just because it's a "contest" or expected to
have a higher A1c just because they have diabetes.  I believe the original
poster just asked if it was possible to have an A1c in the 4's with a
pump.  Yes, while it is possible, it can be good or bad, depending on the
person and their genetic makeup.  I almost hate the fact that they have
this test, since so many perceive it to be a "contest" or a test of how
"perfect" they are with their diabetes.