[IP] Re: Ultra Flex and A1c's

I wrote:
>hmmmmm - I did say *may* and didn't target any one particular person. I
>never mentioned *fog* either. ;) What about someone who risks their own
>trying to achieve an unachievable *4* due to their own competitive spirit?
>My post was not a blanket statement - it still is not a contest. The
>original poster related how her endo told her of the 4's person. Some
>will jump on that and try to duplicate it. Others will hear it and let it
>roll right off their backs. For the ONE person in 4,000 members, I was
>trying to avoid that guilt trip of not being able to achieve something
>someone else did and we don't know that one's circumstances as to why they
>are so fortunate as to be able to do this without much effort. YMMV? (~_^)

RoseLea has responded, again with:
>>>But you did make a blanket statement.  Not knowing any of the specifics
of  the "4's person" the endo mentioned, you only assumed that their quality
of life might be bad and they probably shouldn't drive, etc.  That's what
you said.  I'm sorry I took it wrong if you didn't mean it that way.  :o)

I am trying verrrrry hard not to bring up D.B. in trying to achieve low
A1c's. 'Nuff said on that.  Anyway, here is my exact statement which
includes three *mays*:
>>To achieve in the 4's may be risking others' lives as well. That low
number may not be safe for driving. What kind of quality of life does the
4's person have? Toooooo tight of control may *cost* quite a bit. :-( >>

Perhaps the original poster was speaking of you and I did not know it. To
*me* a blanket statement covers everyone in that category. I did NOT cover
everyone in the 4's range. As I stated, "That low
number may not be safe for driving. What kind of quality of life does the
4's person have? Toooooo tight of control may *cost* quite a bit. :-("

On the A1c chart I have, a 4% A1c is an average BG of 60. We are continually
cautioned on this list to NOT drive below 100. How is that justified since
it is an average and sstill maintain an A1c of 4%? An average of 100 would
be about 5.8%. I understand that you do not go over 200. I think that's
wonderful and is remarkable as well that you can maintain in the 4's. I
still stand by all I have said regarding my original post. The ADA
recommends below 6.5% and some DMers will try to get in the 4%'s due to
their competitive spirit and feel guilt (or death?) in the unachievable for

Dialyzing since 7/8/02

I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, however, I'm not
so sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant. ;)