Re: [IP] Donating Blood & organ donation

Summer,

It depends upon who runs your blood bank whether or
not diabetics (both 1 & 2) can donate.

The American Red Cross changed their policy several
years ago (>5 years ago) to allow diabetics in good
control & with MD's knowledge to donate.

Here in Denver, the Belle Bonfils center runs our
blood bank.  I campaigned them to change their policy
following the American Red Cross's change.  I was
successful and now I donate every chance I can.
Passed the two gallon mark sometime last year (I do
plasma since my blood type is better suited for it).

They have not asked me about the multiple use syringe
thing.  Which, of course, I can make a bag of 20
syringes last for years!

I believe (but don't know this for a fact) that
diabetics cannot be organ donors or donate bone
marrow.

-gail in denver
Dx'd T1 02/14/72 @ age 11, pumping since 1985-ish.