[IP] Donating Bone Marrow?

Can Diabetics donate bone marrow? They were doing a drive to collect samples to test to see if anyone in town could be a match for a sick little girl a few  years ago. I went to sign up and they said they couldn't use me.
Any one have info. on this? I was just curious--if a family member needed me, could I donate bone marrow? Would it make the receiver diabetic?

Sherry C