[IP] PPV (was insulin-pumpers-digest V6 #852)

<email @ redacted> wrote:

> I believe that when the pneunonia immunization first came out it was for
> life.  then a few years later they found out the protection did not last
> long as they had hoped and said a boster was due in 10 years.  Here
> they are recommending it every 5 years.  While we are thinking of
> medicine when was your last td shot.  they are good for 10 years

The recommendation for a repeat is for those turning 65 years old who were
previously vaccinated more than five years before.  For complete
recommendation by the Advisory Committee for Immunization Practices (ACIP)
click on ftp://ftp.cdc.gov/pub/Publications/mmwr/rr/rr4608.pdf for a pdf
copy of the MMWR that publishes the PPV recommendations.  This particular
information is summarized in Table 2.

Jim Handsfield