Re: [IP] Incredible Basal Rate

> Recently my basal requirements have gone through the roof!  It's like my
> liver discovered a new pastime; glycogenisis.  My doc currently has me at
> three units an hour, but sometimes that isn't enough.  My fasting BG was
> this morning.  I had nothing but black coffee until lunch and my BG was
> with my basal rate at 3U per hour.  My insulin sensitivity is low now,
> Recently it's been less than 10mg/dl per unit, and I'm bolusing at 1U per
> 5gm carbohydrate.  A few months ago I was nothing like this.  What can
> change in so short a period to bring about results like this?

Are you sick?  Have you recently had any serious medical problems?  Are you
changing your sites regularly?  Has your activity level changed?  It really
could be several things.  I was in a pretty serious accident 15 months ago.
I have had many infections, surgeries, etc.  I am now doing much better but
I am still taking 150% more insulin then I did prior to the accident.  I was
really having a hard time with it and then it finally sunk in that it
doesn't matter how much I am using as long as I can maintain good blood
glucose levels.  So, speaking from experience if you have already ruled out
all the basics such as sites, insulin, being tested for any infection, etc.,
I wouldn't worry about it because it won't help.