RE: [IP] Unused insulin versus unused carbs

Original Message:
From: Ryan Bruner email @ redacted
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 14:54:12 -0500
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] Unused insulin versus unused carbs

I was wondering if anyone has ever seen estimations used for determining
unused carbs in the body?  I know about the unused insulin rule.  But there
is a problem.  Carbs do not get into the bloodstream immediately.  Some take
longer, some quicker...but in general, there is a short delay.

Now, if you apply the unused insulin rule during the time period that there
are still unused carbs, you will get an inaccurate result in terms of blood
glucose levels.

For example, let's say I eat 20 g of CHO, and take 3 units of insulin.  For
the purpose of discussion, let's say it takes 1 hour for the carbs to fully
get into my system, and 3 hours for the insulin to be done.

So, 30 minutes later, I test my blood sugar, and it registers 150.  I still
have 2 1/2 units of unused insulin.  Looking at that alone, I would think
that my blood sugar will drop by nearly 100 mg/dL, putting me low.  So, that
would make me think I need to eat.  But, what is lost is that there are
still 10 g of CHO that haven't yet gotten into my blood stream.

Anyhow, I simplified the example for discussion.  But I was wondering if
there was anywhere anyone has seen average times posted for the time it
takes carbs to enter the blood stream.  It would make calculating unused
insulin more accurate.

Bryan -
No two persons are alike, whether it is in looks or the way they digest
foods. You may find Glycemic Index as a step in the direction you are
striving for. A low glycemic food will take a longer time to digest and
give you endurance and a feeling of fullness without a high blood sugar
whereas a high glycemic index food will peak relatively quickly and then
you will see the BGs drop off faster. When eating, you want to eat moderate
sized portions and the overall Glycemic index for your meal is an average
of the different foods indexes again reallizing portion sizes must be
concidered to achieve a realistic evaluation. Go to your public library or
book store (like Barnes & Noble) and inquire whatrecently published books
cover Glycemic Index. In Europe & Australia, a number of studies have shown
this to be a great new way to keep the BGs in control and also give stamina
without shoveling in more food. For example, eating an apple before a game
will give you energy without a high BG while a banana will in the short run
give you energy, but only for the short haul.

If you pursue the GI, remember each one of us will be different. Use it as
a guide, keep records and modify it to be a custom GI for you! Good Luck.

http://mail2web.com/ .