RE: [IP] MM's CBGM & costs

At this time, CBGMs are only being sold to Doctors and/or Diabetes Centers.
You can ware it for up to 72hours.  The sensor that gets put under the skin
(like the infusion sets)does not always last the whole 72hours.  MM
guarantees at least 24hrs.  Not sure if you know, but while the test is
being done, you cannot see the BG values (unlike the glucowatch.)  You
actually have to calibrate the machine at least 4 times per day.  I think
some insurance companies cover it if there is a Doctor's prescription/letter
of necessity.  I am getting it "free" since it is part of a clinic the rep
is doing to "sell" my Dr. into getting it (I doubt she will though.)  I had
to call several times the rep and my Endo's office to make sure they
included me in the study (I am concern I am running low at nights.)

Actually I had one done during thanksgiving (also free, this time due to the
CDE at the Diabetes center's concern of my low A1cs 4.1- They had an extra
sensor that was going to expire within a week and offer to put it on me to
see if we could find something out - She is the nicest nurse ever!!!) We
actually did find something, it shows me running low (@40 where the sensor
bottoms up) for 6-8 hours at night.  The issue is that it was not very
reliable since my meter reading were in the high 70s (I woke up to pee and
checked my BG on the standard meter.)  I called the rep and she said that
the actual reading must me somewhere in-between around 50.  Either way I am
concern, but my Endo was not since the rest of the days it looked fine
(although I kept telling her that the Thanksgiving weekend is not
representative of my typical days, especially of my typical meal habits -
eat more & exercise less :o)

You might be able to the same by contacting the MM rep and/or your endo and
inquiring about any "clinics" she/he might be offering.  The diabetes center
in town, also does the tests but you would need a "letter of necessity" for

After the test is done, they will down load the data into a portal that
serves as an interface to the computer and calculates/graphs all the

Last time, I was only given a couple of hours notice before I got the sensor
put in.  She called in that morning, out of the blue, letting me know of the
opportunity to wear it (since their scheduled patient was not able to do it)
and by mid day I had it in.  I did not have a chance to plan ahead to take
the most advantage.

Well, I hope this and hopefully other people's info will help.  I can ask
the rep how much it would be if the insurance does not cover it.

I would like to take as much advantage as I can this time around and would
like to hear any advice/tips.

Have a great day!