Re: [IP] Humalog Start Time

In a message dated 12/15/2002 3:45:01 AM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> What we know from anecdotal reports by list members is that BOTH
> Humalog and Novolog may have very different activity times in
> INDIVIDUALS. The experience of a particular person will not
> necessarily be your experience.
> Remember, YMMV :-)
> Michael
I agree. FYI, according to the Monthly Prescribing Reference  (provides drug
info on several drugs for licensed providers)
Brand                            Onset               Peak
                                    (hours)            (hours)
NovoLog                               <0.25                        1-3
Humalog                                <0.25                         1

As Michael pointed out, these are just guidelines. When Cara started Humalog
in 1997, we were told it started working in 15 minutes, peaked in one hour,
and was totally "gone" from her system by 2-3 hours. Even those numbers have
changed per the most recent references above. When NovoLog first came out,
the pharmaceutical reps who detail the docs, were telling us that it had a
bit faster onset and shorter duration than Humalog.
I did change Cara to Novolog a few months ago, and she is able to get an
extra day out of her site, although we did it mainly to see if her total
daily dose on insulin would go down (which it did). She also does not seem to
build up the "bumps" under the skin with Novolog, but that is more variable.
Remember too, the area or site you inject into (i.e., abdomen, thighs, etc.),
will affect how well the insulin is absorbed.

Joann, Mom to Cara