[IP] Re: skipping meals -- sugar free sweets

       When this happens I do thank the person for being so thoughtful.  But
then I explain to them that these chocolates and sweets contain sorbitol (or
other "ol" sweeteners) which are not recommended for children as they cause
gastro-intestinal upset.  To make them not feel bad, I tell them the story
about buying Claire sugar-free freezie pops the first summer after dx, and
letting her eat quite a few.  She then spent a lot of time on the toilet.  I
know that you aren't a child, but you can just say that they cause tummy
upsets in many people and that you prefer to deal with regular sugar items,
as this is quite possible with your pump.  The bit about upset tummies may
stick in their mind better than your other explanation as some people have no
clue about the concept of carbohydrates.

Barbara, Mum of Claire 8