Re: [IP] Re: the trip to the ER

> From: "James Handsfield" <email @ redacted>
> To further clarify, "stomach flu" is not influenza.  Usually it's a food
> borne illness.

More often, I think, and especially at this time of year, it is a viral
illness. One gastrointestinal ("stomach flu") virus that's currently getting
a lot of press, at least in Ontario, is the Norwalk-type virus. It can be
very nasty for diabetics because it can cause severe nausea and vomiting,
making it impossible to keep down fluids (and antinausea medication) and
hence lead to development of ketones. (I know. I get hit every year or two,
right around now.)

Best advice for avoiding it: wash your hands lots and lots, and then wash
them again.

Best advice if you get it: go to the hospital. (Easier for Canadians, I
think.) They can stabilize you with IV fluids and IV antiemetics, and
prevent or halt ketoacidosis.

(Others are correct in saying there's no such thing as stomach flu. Although
the term is common, it's a bit like saying diabetes is "a touch of sugar.")