Re: [IP] Re: flu shot

Ryan Bruner <email @ redacted> wrote:

> Hmm.  Then why are diabetics considered "high risk" and are one of the
> to get flu shots?
> It is the stomach flu that makes the flu dangerous for diabetics.

"Stomach flu" is not influenza.  Influenza is a respiratory disease that may
also cause gastrointestinal upset.  Influenza is a potentially fatal disease
for diabetics and non-diabetics alike.

> The "flu shot" is actually two shots in one.  First and foremost, for the
> influenza virus.  Second, it also prevents pneumonia.

Not so.  The annual influenza vaccine generally has agents for three strains
of influenza - two type A and one type B.  The specific mix is determined by
analyzing the incidence of disease in China as it all seems to arise from
there the year before it strikes in the West.

And influenza vaccine will prevent pneumonia only in that influenza may
weaken the immune system to allow pneumococcus to infect.  To prevent
pneumonia, one needs the polyvalent pneumonia vaccine (Pneumovax), which
contain agent of twenty-one strains (there are over forty known strains).
This is generally a one time immunization although many experts feel an
additional dose at age 65 is a good idea.

Jim Handsfield