Re: [IP] Pregnant pumpers....

At 12:36 PM 12/12/02, you wrote:
>It is a little firghtning to see that everybody had rather
>large babies, and they all delivered early. When I had
>said something to my previous doctor about wanting to have
>children all he did was show me pictures of deformed
>babies, and tell me this is all I have to look forward to.
>  Needless to say he is no longer my doctor.  What type of
>things did you have to do to prepare your body before you
>became pregnant?  What effects did being pregnant have on
>your bg? Did you have any complications during the
>pregnancy or during delivery?  Any information that you
>can give me would be very helpful

I hate to say it... before I became pregnant I did no preparation since she
was an "oops".  <hehe>  I followed a strict diet regimen and was grateful
that I craved tomatoes while I was pregnant rather than chocolate cake or
ice cream.  No one ever told me in my early years of diabetes that I
couldn't do something because of the diabetes.  I was also spared all the
"horror" stories.  As far as my bg levels during pregnancy, I haven't a
clue since 24 years ago glucose meters were non-existent.  I went to the
doctor every 3 months, had blood drawn 2 hours after breakfast and from
that result was told all was fine.  My last trimester was spent at my
ob/gyn's every week and I did 24-hour urine testing once per week during
the last trimester also.  I was told that they were checking for a hormone
that could tell if the baby was in trouble or not.  I also experienced a
lot of lows that last month before Manda was born, I was told it was
because her pancreas was producing insulin that was covering both of us, so
when I ate a meal and had the post-spike, she covered us, then when the
slower insulin I took started working, I ended up low.  Was an interesting
time.  I refused to let them deliver her early without being sure she was
ready (my sister who is also Type 1 was also pregnant at the same time and
they delivered her son 6 weeks early and his lungs weren't completely
developed).  So, I went to the hospital to have an amniocentesis
done.  When I got there, the nurse felt my stomach and said she wanted to
doctor to check me first before the procedure.  Turns out I was already 2
cm dilated and having early contractions (which I was clueless to).  They
kept me at the hospital and delivered her the next morning.  I had a
C-section.  No complications during the pregnancy either.  Today she's 24
years old, and a wonderful young woman.

dxd 1963, pumping 2000