RE: [IP] Pregnant & low BGs....

>>>I'd like to ask all you pumper moms/pregnant ladies out there if you encountered this, when and for how long?  And how you handled it?  Did you just eat to cover the lows or did you reduce your basals?
I am leery of reducing my basals since I'm tending to be more concerned with high BGs.<<<

I saw my doctor every two weeks throughout my pregnancy, just before or after seeing my OB.  She told me it happens between 10-14 weeks typically.  I remember she could see it starting to trend that way before it was a problem, I think about 10 weeks.  The first sign was when my after meal bgs were trending a little too good -- postprandials were running about the same as my premeal sugars.

She lowered my ratios I know, and I think she lowered my basals, too.  I remember being surprised how aggressively she lowered things at ten weeks.  I wondered if it were too much.  I soon found out otherwise when even with those adjustments, I had some scary lows.

I think it lasted a month or six weeks for me, but of course could go differently for you.  I hope your endo is as much help as mine was.  If she hadn't told me about that and had me make those adjustments before the lows actually started, I'd have been in big trouble.

Keep us posted on how it goes.  Feel free to email me personally if you'd like.  I don't know how much help I'll be, but it does help to talk to someone who has been through it.

Try not to panic too much about isolated highs.  They ARE going to happen, and later in the pregnancy, they will happen a lot.  With great medical care and the wonderful technology of the insulin pump, having a healthy baby is a lot easier.  Those babies bodies tend to be pretty forgiving of bg swings.  I know I put both of mine through them.

My son was only about eight lbs, and even though my daughter was nearly two lbs. larger, neither one of them had problems with regulating their own blood sugars after birth.  They did beautifully.

Yours will probably do fine, too.  I just urge you not to worry too much.  All you can do is the best you can, and when things go wrong, trust God with the outcome.

dxd 1985, pumping since 1990

Meet Singles