[IP] RE: Pregnancy and low BGs ...

Hey Janet,

I'm a little bit ahead of you (14 weeks), and the lows are still
persisting for me.  My endo said that the insulin sensitivity typically
lasts through about the 20th week, and then we'll start to see insulin
resistance and increasing doses.  I see my endo every two weeks, and if
I need to, I fax her blood sugars in between.  Because I am so concerned
about highs with pregnancy, I only make changes to carb ratios and
basals in conjunction with her.  The most difficult part is that basal
testing by fasting is not recommended during pregnancy -- we need to
eat!  :)  So, it's really trial and error and lots of close monitoring.
Generally, we've been changing carb ratios and when it's really clear
that basals are off, we change those. (Overnights are the easiest to
identify problems with.)

I'm still seeing several lows/day at 14 weeks.  I'm in the 40s almost
daily, but we've managed to eliminate most of the 30s.  For now, I just
carry lots of juice and glucose tabs and treat them as they come.  We do
try to make adjustments to get rid of them, but ... As I said, it's just
difficult to make those changes.

As for lows, I'm assured by both my endo and OB that there is no risk to
the baby because of them.  However, consider that if you are in some
sort of accident because of a low, that will impact the baby.

Feel free to email me off list if there's anything I can help with!  And
...CONGRATS!  :)

>Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 17:00:27 -0600
>From: "Stephens, Janet" <email @ redacted>
>Subject: RE: [IP] Pregnant & low BGs....
>That was another amazingly timed email for me! I was just about to send
out my message about when to expect >lows during pregnancy!
>I'm in week 7 of my first pregnancy and today I've been low at least 4
or 5 times! I'd like to ask all you >pumper moms/pregnant ladies out
there if you encountered this, when and for how long?
>And how you handled it?  Did you just eat to cover the lows or did you
reduce your basals? I am leery of >reducing my basals since I'm tending
to be more concerned with high BGs.
>My other LOW BG question is are there risks associated with low BGs
during pregnancy like there are >associated with highs?
>The annoying coincidence is that I'm in the middle of the nausea days
and some food makes me want to gag:-)!