[IP] Re: Pregnant and Low BG's

I thought I'd chime in about the different lows/highs during pregnancy. My son just turned 19 months old.
I started pumping in August 2000 and found out in October that I was 2 months pregnant. I had decided to start pumping mostly because I wanted to have a child in the next few
years, but obviously this was a bit unplanned. I was just getting used to pumping and getting my basals right when I found out. I had a lot of guilt and worry about the baby
because I knew my numbers hadn't been so great.
At first, I refused to lower my basals because I'd heard that pregnancy made your insulin needs increase. I was so afraid of highs that I ended up meeting the EMT's a time or
two with bad hypos. I had to adjust quickly. Until about 4 months or so my basals needed to be decreased, then it seemed like they slowly climbed back up. My endo at that
time was pretty much a waste of humanity. Every time I'd go see him he'd tell me that "not enough women prepare themselves emotionally for a miscarriage." I felt like he kept
expecting me to fail. I tried to stay positive. I found a really good ob/gyn team after trying everyone in the phone book when I found out I was pregnant, only to be told
they wouldn't take a high risk case like me.
I was doing non-stress tests on the baby twice a week at the end to make sure he was staying active, and I had about 3 ultrasounds. I had one incident with bleeding, but it
was because of a low-lying placenta that had nothing to do with my diabetes. The last few weeks I started showing signs of pre-eclampsia. My feet were so swollen that not
even slippers would fit. I had to wear house shoes with velcro tops. They were going to schedule a c-section anyway because he was expected to be big, but my water broke on
the morning of May 8. I did have a c-section and I disconnected the pump (I guess I just didn't have the confidence in myself to argue with them at the time.) A few hours
later I was in the 300's and reconnected to bolus and left my pump on, and in my control. I tested myself, and the nurses never even asked for my numbers. (My new endo after
Mr. Waste wrote orders to leave that in my control).
William Sean Compton was born May 8, 2001 at 12:58 pm weighing 7lbs 10 oz and was 19 inches long. He had no problems with hypoglycemia or anything. His APGAR's were 8 and 9.
He has been a very healthy child. The ear infection he has right now is the first sickness he's had except one mild reaction to a vaccination.

Test a lot and watch those low's. That's really the best you can do. Hormones are crazy!! I actually had just as much trouble the first few weeks after Sean was born. I had
to stop breastfeeding. It wasn't going well anyway, but I was on the verge of passing out all the time and just didn't see how I could take care of a newborn when I could
barely keep myself conscious.

Good luck to you pregnant ladies. I hope you have good, positive endos who will treat you with respect.

Sherry C